Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Analogies for reading God’s Word

Here's another article for your reading pleasure (by an unknown source):


Analogies for reading God’s Word:
1. Did you study (read and actively learn) history in school, or did you simply sit and believe what ever your history teacher said?
2. If you were a newspaper publisher would you publish a story by a columnist without checking the facts?
3. Would you buy a car without looking under the hood?
4. Would you buy a house without ever seeing it or having a home inspection done?
5. Would you take medicine without ever reading the directions?
6. Would you take a test without ever going to class or reading and studying the material?
7. Would you switch jobs or careers without knowing anything about the new job or career?
8. Would you fly a plane, sail a boat, or operate heavy machinery without the proper training?
9. Would you marry a perfect stranger; someone neither you nor anyone in your life knew anything about?

Isaiah 55:8 “’For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the Lord.”

Mark 12:24 “Jesus replied ‘Are you not in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God?’”

Analogies for preaching God’s Word:
1. Would you blindly follow someone off of a cliff?
2. If your best friend, sister, brother, mom, or dad were drowning would you save them? What about a perfect stranger or your worst enemy?

Do unto others as you would have them do to you applies across the board. If you saw someone in physical danger you would help them.

Why then, would you not help someone in spiritual danger? Did Jesus not mean it when He said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6)?

Luke 9:26 “If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angles.”

Isaiah 9-11 “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”

Neither you nor I can say what God has in store for our lives. All we can do is give our lives over to His will and do as He asks us; if we say “No, Lord, that is not for me” then we are defying the will of God (a good biblical example is the story of the prophet Jonah).

No comments: